Another Note: Update December 19, 2020. Many students will be returning to the studio in January, 2021 with online lessons available upon request for illness, bad weather or “just because”. Due to COVID, masks will be required, as well as social distancing. There will be more time between students to allow for cleaning/sanitizing. Duets will be played on two pianos. No group Playing Classes at this time.
Note: Updated June 27, 2020. Three new apps added, indicated with * Added June 27, 2020
Note: As of March 16, 2020, All FCPS school buildings are closed until further notice.
What Will Happen If Schools Close In Fairfax County?
Piano lessons will continue because we have a plan!
Please note that I clean the piano and keyboard keys with Clorox wipes between each student. Students are expected to wash hands before lessons and after using the restroom. Hand sanitizer is available.
I am continuously monitoring press releases from public health officials both locally and nationwide and have developed a plan for continuity in piano lessons should we need to implement it.
If any of the school districts that students in our studio attend close down or the health department provides suggestions to more seriously limit interaction and engage in social distancing, piano lessons will continue for students of ALL ages.
Our contingency plan if Fairfax County Schools close is to:
- Close the physical studio temporarily
- Provide online lesson options completely customized towards each student using a web portal at MyMusicStaff. All students have been assigned user names and passwords already. Your log-in information is in your student’s notebook or I will send it to you.
- All assignments are due by the beginning of the student’s regularly scheduled lesson time and new ones along with comments about the past week will be given during the regular lesson time. Students will still be expected to continue practicing, completing all assignments and demonstrating progress.
- There may be assigned theory games using an app called SproutBeat. You can access this through any browser. All students have been assigned user names and passwords already. Your log-in information is in your student’s notebook or I will send it to you.
- There may be assigned theory games using a website called SproutBeat Leap.
- There may be written theory work from your assigned theory book If so, we will discuss it at the next lesson. It could also be scanned and emailed to email@example.com
- For students with iPads, please be sure that you have downloaded PianoMaestro. There will be weekly assignments listed under “Home Challenge”. Please try to get 3 stars. It is possible to slow the pieces down but you may lose points/stars doing so. If it’s really hard, try the Learn Mode.
- Depending on how long in-person school is canceled, we may have online lessons using Zoom as a virtual piano studio during the regularly scheduled lesson time.
- Other Apps you might want to try at home:
- Theory: Music Theory Pro – a great tool for preparing for auditions: scales, chords, intervals and more
- Theory: Jungle Journey
- Rhythm: Rhythm Swing – a fun, interactive game that covers basic note values
- Rhythm: Rhythm Lab – assign rhythms for students to practice and tap- hands alone or together
- Rhythm: Rhythm Cat
- Note-Reading: Flashnote Derby – a customizable game where students ‘race’ to select the correct note
- Note-Reading: Note Squish: think whac-a-mole with notes. Also customizable by clef (includes alto clef!)
- Note-Reading: Noteworks
- Note-Reading: Staff Wars
- Note-Reading: Note Rush: great for keyboard geography. Students have to play the note that pops up
- Note-Reading: Treble Cat
- Note-Reading: Bass Cat
- Note-Reading: Note Quest * Added June 27, 2020
- Ear Training: Beat Melody – great intro to ear training
- Ear Training: Ear Cat
- Playing: Simply Piano * Added June 27, 2020
- Playing: DustBusters * Added June 27, 2020
Your payment will still be due at the same time. All assignments are due by the beginning of the student’s regularly scheduled lesson time and new ones along with comments about the past week will be given during the regular lesson time. Students will still be expected to continue practicing, completing all assignments and demonstrating progress.
When lessons resume, if you have an underlying health concern or family member who has one that you believe puts you in a high-risk group and you would like to take steps ahead of time to mitigate your exposure, please let me know and I will set up online lessons for you (see #10 above).
Did I forget anything? Questions or comments?